Low-Carb Cabbage Enchiladas
Skeptical about cabbage? You might be surprised how well it melds with the other flavors. We're fans!
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 c. cooked and shredded chicken
- 1⅓ c. red enchilada sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 c. shredded Monterey jack
- ½ c. shredded cheddar
- Sour cream, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350º. In a large pot, boil 4 cups water. Using tongs, dip each cabbage leaf in water for 30 seconds and place on a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper and season with salt. Cook until soft, 5 minutes, then stir in garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Add shredded chicken and 1 cup enchilada sauce and stir until saucy. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro.
- Place a heaping spoon of chicken mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold the short sides of the cabbage leaf in first, then roll into a cylinder — like a burrito! Repeat until all chicken mixture is used.
- Spoon remaining ⅓ cup enchilada sauce over cabbage enchiladas and sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake until melty, about 20 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and more cilantro and serve.