Sure, Kahlua is great in coffee, but it's REALLY GREAT in cupcakes. We added both coffee and Kahlua to a boxed cake mix for a triple threat that we're obsessed with.
Recipe type: Dessert
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
- ¾ c. strongly brewed coffee
- ¼ c. Kahlua
- FOR THE GANACHE
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- ¼ c. Kahlua
- Pinch of kosher salt
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1½ c. (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ c. heavy cream, plus more if necessary
- 1 tbsp. Kahlua
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Gold sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 cupcake pans with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, eggs, oil, coffee and Kahlua. Fill each cup about ¾ full and bake until a toothpick inserted into middle of each cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile make ganache filling: Place chocolate chips in a medium heat safe bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat heavy cream until it bubbles. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit 5 minutes. Add Kahlua and a pinch of salt and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate while you make frosting.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add about half the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and beat until no lumps remain. Add heavy cream, Kahlua, and vanilla and beat until smooth, then add remaining powdered sugar and beat until combined. Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Scoop out a heaping teaspoon from each cupcake to create a well, then spoon ganache into cupcake wells.
- Pipe frosting on top and garnish with chocolate sprinkles and sprinkles.