Giant Chinese Orange Chicken Burrito
Love sticky orange chicken? Love burritos? This Giant Chinese Orange Chicken Burrito is all you need!
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 300ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 75g caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- Zest from 1 orange
- 300g corn flour
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- Egg Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely crushed
- 500g cooked long grain rice
- 5 spring onions, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 large eggs, roughly beaten
- Firstly, make the delicious sticky sauce for the chicken.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and fry the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes until it all turns golden and smells amazing, then quickly pour over the orange juice to stop it from burning.
- Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and caster sugar and stir, cooking until the sugar dissolves.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water to make a paste. Pour this into the pan and allow the mixture to bubble and thicken before adding the orange zest and removing from the heat.
- Mix the cornstarch, flour and salt together and heat the oil in a large skillet to 175°C.
- Place the eggs in a medium bowl. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg mix followed by the flour, then fry in batches until crispy and golden. Drain off excess oil and repeat with the remaining pieces.
- When all the chicken is cooked toss in a large wok with the sauce until well coated and sticky. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil and cook the onion and carrot together until softened, roughly 5 mins.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, then add the rice, spring onions and soy sauce. Stir to combine everything together then make a well in the centre of the pan by pushing the rice up against the sides.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the well in the centre and allow them to begin to cook before stirring them through the rice. When the egg is completely cooked, check seasoning and set aside.
- Get the flour and water paste and stick three large tortillas together, overlapping each one. Stick another two on to this line of tortillas to make a sort of truncated triangle.
- Place a line of egg fried rice down the middle of the shape and top with the chicken pieces. Pour any excess sauce over the top.
- Fold over the two side flaps and very gently and carefully roll the whole thing up in a tight bundle.
- Heat a flat griddle surface (or big frying pan) and brown the giant burrito on all sides. Pop in the oven to heat through before serving with sweet chilli sauce (or anything you want!)