Escarole & White Bean Soup
This is the perfect go-to soup. In fact, you probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already! It's also super.
Recipe type: Main
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes (optional
- 1 head escarole, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 c. low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 2 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Parmesan rind, or 1 (1-oz.) piece of Parmesan
- 2 bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, and leek and cook until slightly soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add escarole and stir until wilted completely. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, water, beans, parmesan rind and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally, mashing some beans (about ⅓ of them) in the pot to thicken soup. Let simmer 15 minutes, then stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with Parmesan before serving.