Easy Chicken Biryani
All of the comforting flavors, less fuss and cleanup
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1½ in. pieces
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1½ in. pieces
- ¼ cup plain whole yogurt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric, divided
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin, divided
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1½ cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 tsp. garam masala, divided
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1½ Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup warm whole milk
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, divided
- 1 red Fresno chile or jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- Combine chicken breasts and thighs, yogurt, paprika, and ½ teaspoon each of turmeric, cumin, and salt in a shallow dish or plastic bag to marinate. Chill while rice is prepared.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over high. Stir in rice, cardamom, 2 teaspoons of the garam masala, and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Boil 6 minutes; drain,and discard cardamom pods. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow Dutch oven over medium. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 2 teaspoons garam masala; cook, stirring often until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in serrano chile. Add tomatoes; cook stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened and released their juices, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add chicken mixture; cook, stirring often for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir together warm milk and saffron in a small bowl; let stand 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the cilantro and mint over tomato-chicken mixture; top evenly with rice, and drizzle with saffron milk. Cover, and bake in preheated oven until rice and chicken are cooked
- through, about 15 minutes. Remove lid, and sprinkle with remaining half of cilantro and mint.
- Top with Fresno chile, if desired.
All of the comforting flavors, less fuss and cleanup(via Well Done) GET THE RECIPE: https://trib.al/xQ70tSq
Posted by MyRecipes on Friday, June 15, 2018