Chili Cheese Burgers
Chili Cheese Burgers are saucy, cheesy perfection.
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 lb. ground beef, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder, divided
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 c. shredded Cheddar
- 4 hamburger buns
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Pickled jalapeños, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine 1¼ pounds ground beef, garlic, and 1 tablespoon chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Form into four patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Add patties and cook 4 minutes per side, then drain fat.
- Make chili sauce: Add onions to skillet and cook until soft and tender, 5 minutes, then season with salt. Add remaining ground beef and cook until no longer pink, 6 minutes, then drain fat.
- Stir in remaining chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder until combined, then add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir until combined. Let simmer 5 minutes (add ¼ cup to ½ cup water to thin sauce to your desired consistency).
- Return burger patties back to the skillet and spoon sauce all over. Top with cheddar and cover with lid to melt.
- Assemble burgers: Top buns with burgers, spoon over more chili sauce, and top with green onions and pickled jalapeños.