Black Forest Gateaux Ice Box Cake
Want a delicious cake but feeling too flustered by the summer heat to turn the oven on? Then this one is for you!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 300g rectangular chocolate sandwich biscuits
- 4 cups tinned cherries
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 800l double cream
- 200g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- 200g dark chocolate
- 200g milk chocolate
- 300ml double cream
- 800ml double cream
- 50ml icing sugar
- Fresh cherries, to serve
- Chopped chocolate, to serve
- Separate your chocolate biscuits in half and scrape their filling into a bowl.
- Put the cherries, water, sugar, lemon juice and corn starch in a pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 mins, stirring all the while. Leave to cool.
- Whip your cream, cream cheese and icing sugar until thick. Add ¼ of your cherry mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the inside of your biscuits to the cream. Heat in the microwave, then pour it over your chocolate. Leave to stand for 1 min, then stir to combine until smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- Put a spoonful of cream followed by a layer of biscuits at the base of a square baking tin lined with clingfilm. Put ½ of your cream mixture over the biscuits, followed by ½ of your cherry compote and ½ of your ganache. Repeat with your remaining ingredients, with the final layer being ganache. Put in the fridge to set overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Whisk your remaining cream and icing sugar until you have stiff peaks. Spread your cake all over with this cream mixture, then sprinkle with chopped chocolate and garnish with fresh cherries. Carve into slices and serve!