- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb. beef chuck stew meat, cubed into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ c. tomato paste
- 6 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 1 c. red wine
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 1 c. frozen peas
- ¼ c. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large dutch oven (or pot), over medium heat, heat oil. Add beef and cook on all sides until seared, 10 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Transfer beef to a plate.
- In the same pot, cook onion, carrots, and celery until soft, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste has darkened, 2 minutes.
- Add beef back to dutch oven then add broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer until beef is tender, 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in peas and cook until warmed through, 2 minutes. Garnish with parsley befor serving.